That’s not a rhetorical question. I’m asking the question because I want to know the answer. A lot of different answers have been floating around. Here are some:
- Just what the White House has been saying. They’d been negotiating for some time and recently became alarmed at what appeared to be the declining state of Bergdahl’s health. Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.
- Ditto with the addition of our pending withdrawal from Afghanistan.
- Barack Obama promised to shut down the detention center at Guantanamo when he ran for president the first time and he’s still trying to fulfill that promise. Exchanging the five Taliban for Bergdahl is a backdoor way of getting around Congress’s lack of cooperation.
- It’s part of a larger negotiation to bring the Taliban into the political process in Afghanistan.
- The president is a crypto-Muslim and Bergdahl presented a pretext for releasing the Taliban.
- The president wanted something to distract people from the VA (or other) scandal.
I lean towards #1. I think that #5 is a scurrilous and outrageous charge.
What do you think?
I’ve added a sixth speculation. I’d intended to include that but it slipped my mind when I was drafting the post.