Among the finds were that
- opinion is sharply divided on Lukashenka
- a lot of Belarusians think he’s a crook
- Russia is pretty popular among Belarusians
- Heck, China is more popular among Belarusians than either the EU or us
- Only a minority of Belarusians support the demonstrations
The conclusion that I would draw is that if the Europeans want to impose sharp sanctions on Belarus, Russia, or both, that’s up to them. Our best posture is dignified silence. As usual I think we should be the well-wisher of the freedom and independence for everyone but the vindicator only of our own.
Maybe you’re skeptical of any poll of Belarusian opinion. I would welcome evidence that contradicts any of the above. Angry protesters don’t necessarily tell you what the majority of Belarusians think.