For the first time in nearly a decade I actually watched the Superbowl last night. Congratulations, Packers.
I don’t think that I can improve on Business Insider’s take so I’ll, er, sample it here:
- Christina Aguilera messed up the lyrics to the National Anthem
- A bunch of companies spent a lot of money on a lot of not very good ads
- Except for Chrysler who seemed to impress a lot of people, including Eminem
- Groupon’s dumb ad just managed to tick everyone off
- The Black Eyed Peas made heads explode (not in the good way) at halftime
- And, oh yeah … the Packers won
Video links galore at the linked post.
We gave a young house guest—the daughter of some dear old friends who’s in town to interview for several of the culinary schools here in Chicago. Her reaction was terse: I’m glad I didn’t waste my money by going to one of their concerts.
The only ad I found even mildly interesting was the Chrysler ad. However, I also found it problematic. They managed to find a several block area of Detroit that showed off the city’s former glory. Wouldn’t a counter-ad showing the rest of Detroit have told a rather different story? Not that Toyota, Hyundai, or Mercedes-Benz would be tasteless enough to produce one. But it did seem rather desperate.