When I read about the idea that the Obama Administration was considering changing course and backing Assad in Syria my immediate reaction was
Which of the following choices is the worst course of action?
- Back the rebels, Assad is defeated and replaced by an Islamist regime.
- Back the rebels but Assad remains.
- Back Assad and Assad defeats the rebels quickly.
- Back Assad and Assad defeats the rebels slowly.
- Back the rebels, Assad remains, and then you back Assad.
- Wait for the whole thing to blow over.
You may propose other alternatives. Note that I don’t include an alternative for Assad being removed and replaced by a liberal democratic government because that was not going to happen in any event.
What would the best course of action have been?