My reaction to Joel Kotkin’s post at Daily Beast on the rebellion against the experts was much simpler.
- No one is an expert on everything.
- Outside one’s area of expertise, the so-called expert is no more authoritative than I am.
- Experts routinely bootstrap from their areas of expertise into areas outside their areas of expertise.
- Experts are human, too, with preferences, politics, hobbies, and agenda.
- When experts benefit from their prescriptions, it’s hard not to suspect that they’re interested parties.