Don’t leave your car running in a freaking garage!

There’s been an accident just a few blocks from where I live:

Two Lincolnwood men died from carbon monoxide poisoning early today when one of them accidentally left his car running in their condo building’s garage, officials said.

Fire officials found the two victims, both men, dead in separate units in the building in the 6400 block of North Cicero Avenue around 4:30 a.m., said Lincolnwood Fire Chief Mike Hansen.

Three other people in the building were sickened by the fumes and transported to area hospitals, where they were listed in good condition, Hansen said.

Firefighters found the car running in a garage attached to the two-story, four-unit building, Hansen said. Soon after, rescuers found the car’s owner dead in his unit with his television turned on and the other man dead in the apartment above, Hansen said.

“It looks like someone left a car running” in what appears to have been an accident, Hansen said. Firefighters went to the building after a resident called 911, saying he felt sick and feared he was having a heart attack, Hansen said.

That man and his wife were transported to St. Francis Hospital in Evanston in good condition and another resident was taken to Lutheran General Hospital in Park Ridge, also in good condition, he said.

One of the men who died was an acquaintance of ours. Very sad.

Don’t leave your car running in a garage, folks. Even a large one.

3 comments… add one
  • Unless you are a young couple in a rare Corvette and nobody is likely to notice for a while…

  • This is why you should always have a carbon minoxide alarm in your garage and inside your house. At a minimum you want to have one that is directly in the room attached to the garage and if your a/c unit is in your garage one attached right by the A/C outlet closest to the A/C unit. smoke and carbon minoxide detectors really are important for fire safety and can prevent mistakes like this. Very sad.

  • Whoa… I don’t get how that could happen – who leave’s their car on in the garage on accident? Sad story… where did it happen?

Leave a Comment